Saturday, February 19, 2011

.homemade fingerpainting fun.

I recently got a book, First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos  by MaryAnn Kohl.  There are some great ideas for toddler art, as well as recipes to make different types of paint and tips for uses for everyday household items to use as art.  I decided to try out the Creamy Soap Flake Fingerpaint recipe.  I couldn't find soap flakes in the store (surprise, surprise), so she mentioned that you could make your own just by grating up a bar of Ivory Soap.  So I bought some bars of Ivory, a cheap-o cheese grater (that is now *for art use only*), and grated away.  I followed her recipe, but instead of using an electric mixer, I used a *for art use only* whisk and voila...creamy soap flake fingerpaint.  I made three colors, blue, purple, and yellow.  I spread out a drop cloth, covered a table with newspaper, then layed down some brown craft paper.  Then I put out the three different paints, along with paintbrushes, pipe cleaners, combs, and spoons and let the kids go to town.  I wasn't sure how Kaiya would like it because previous experiences with fingerpaint ended up in her crying and whining because she didn't like the paint on her hands.  But...she was all about this paint.  And it smelled like Ivory soap!  It was a mess...but not really because a quick jump in the shower after and Kaiya and her cousins were all washed up!

Here is MaryAnn's recipe for Creamy Soap Flake Fingerpaint:
Pour 2 cups warm water in a bowl.  Add 1 cup soap flakes and beat with an electric mixer until stiff.  (I used the whisk and it took only a couple minutes).  Mix in 1/2 teaspoon food coloring.  Spoon the paint onto paper for fingerpainting.  (I divided them into 3 bowls and put out the bowls so the artists could do as they wished).  
*Do not dump unused paint in the sink because it can clog the drain*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...