Monday, April 4, 2011

{succulent terrarium}

I have been on a hunt to find a plant for my office and I recently came across a few DIY terrariums. Immediate thought...perfect for the office...if I could find the materials. Over the course of the next few days, I hunted down my materials, most which I found at the trusty WalMart.  Home Depot failed in the succulent department, but luckily Wally World had two cute mini succulents for only .99 a piece.  I also picked up some white aquarium rocks, cactus soil, and a clear vase to pot my soon-to-be cute little terrarium.  I searched high and low for the activated charcoal at WalMart, as well, but couldn't find it, so I went home and did a quick internet search and figured that maybe I could check the nearest pet store.  A quick call to Lihue Pet Store...and bingo...activated carbon was a quick trip away (I thought I would have to ultimately order it on the internet).

So..the work began.  My two little succulents wasn't quite the look I was shooting for, so I went across to my Grandma's house and what do you know...she had just planted some succulents and said I could take whatever ones I wanted.  I searched for a couple mini ones and she even gave me some to take for future terrariums.  She even gave me some tips on succulents.  Score!  Bonus having a garden savvy g-ma!  In the end...gathering of the materials took the most time, as building the terrarium was done in about 10 minutes or less.  And here she is....isn't she a beauty!



My next project inspiration {via in words and pictures}  A tabletop water garden.  How cute is it?!  All I have to do is find some time to head over to Kauai Nursery to see if they have water plants.  They have to have taro right?  After all...we do live in Hawaii.  Guess I'll have to wait and see.  

If you want to make your own terrarium, just do a quick search on the internet for inspiration.  The materials you need are pretty cheap...I'd say less than $20 (only because the activated charcoal was probably overpriced at $12.99...the hike in price you pay to live in paradise, where everything has to be shipped over).  Here are a list of materials I used....and the order that they're layered in:
  • Glass Container (doesn't have to be a vase...a cup, bowl, mason jar, etc. will also work well)
  • Rocks or Pebbles (which I found by the pet supply)
  • Activated Charcoal
  • Cactus Soil
  • Succulents
Easy as pie!  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...